NIFT – The Origins, and the Alumni
National Institute of Fashion Technology was set up in 1986, under the aegis of the Ministry of Textiles (Government of India), to bolster the need for creating professional expertise to handle increasing export demands. A two-room centre in the shopping arcade of Delhi’s Samrat Hotel was founded in association with the Fashion Institute of Technology (FIT), New York for the 1st batch of design students.
In 1988 NIFT moved to Indira Gandhi stadium with 3 programs
- Fashion Design
- Apparel Marketing and Merchandising
- Garment Manufacturing Technology
Subsequently in the 1990s, NIFT found its home at dedicated campus in Hauz Khas, which now is the headquarters as well as hosts the Delhi centre of NIFT. Currently, NIFT has 15 campuses spread over the country and has been spearheading the development of professionals specifically for the fashion, textile and lifestyle industry.
In 2006 NIFT was granted statutory status under the act of Parliament of India empowering the Institute to award degrees and other academic distinctions.
Around 18,000+ Alumni holding influential positions as Entrepreneurs, CXOs, Brand Managers, Quality Controllers, Designers, Fashion Coordinators, Merchandisers, Production Managers, and Marketing Heads in more than 2000 organizations across the world, estimated to influence more than US$25 billion industry of apparel and textiles, and also in other sectors. NIFT Graduates can be found at all levels in organisations such as:
- Retailers and Brands including Amazon, Snapdeal, Myntra, Jabong, Future Group, Raymonds, Aditya Birla Group, Shoppers Stop, Landmark Group, LL Bean, LVMH, Nike, Adidas, Reebok, Reliance, Arvind Lifestyle, Tommy Hilfiger, VF, Mast Industries, Zegna, GAP, Inditex, Cortefiel, Next, JC Penney, Macy, Marks & Spencer, Debenhams.
- Sourcing companies and manufacturers Asmara, Textile Network, Fusion, Triburg, Impulse, Paragon Apparels, Sarbi
- Consulting and professional service organisations including Third Eyesight, Technopak.
- Educational Institutions including NIFT, Pearl Academy, IAM
Visit NIFT website: nift.ac.in